Subject: [PATCH 4/3] gitweb: Fix fallback mode of to_utf8 subroutine

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 01:54:16 +0100

e5d3de5 (gitweb: use Perl built-in utf8 function for UTF-8 decoding.,
2007-12-04) was meant to make gitweb faster by using Perl's internals
(see subsection "Messing with Perl's Internals" in Encode(3pm) manpage)

Simple benchmark confirms that (old = 00f429a, new = this version);
note that it is synthetic benchmark of standalone subroutines, not
of gitweb itself

        old  new
  old    -- -65%
  new  189%   --

Unfortunately it made fallback mode of to_utf8 do not work...  except
for default value 'latin1' of $fallback_encoding ('latin1' is Perl
native encoding), which is why it was not noticed for such long time.

utf8::valid(STRING) is an internal function that tests whether STRING
is in a _consistent state_ regarding UTF-8.  It returns true is
well-formed UTF-8 and has the UTF-8 flag on _*or*_ if string is held
as bytes (both these states are 'consistent').  For gitweb the second
option was true, as output from git commands is opened without ':utf8'
layer.

What made it work at all for STRING in 'latin1' encoding is the fact
that utf8:decode(STRING) turns on UTF-8 flag only if source string is
valid UTF-8 and contains multi-byte UTF-8 characters... and that if
string doesn't have UTF-8 flag set it is treated as in native Perl
encoding, i.e.  'latin1' / 'iso-8859-1' (unless native encoding it is
EBCDIC ;-)).  It was ':utf8' layer that actually converted 'latin1'
(no UTF-8 flag == native == 'latin1) to 'utf8'.

Let's make use of the fact that utf8:decode(STRING) returns false if
STRING is invalid as UTF-8 to check whether to enable fallback mode.

Signed-off-by: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
---
Excuse me for overly long commit message...

Resent as part of to_utf8 fixes for better visibility

 gitweb/gitweb.perl |    3 +--
 1 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gitweb/gitweb.perl b/gitweb/gitweb.perl
index d24763b..75b0970 100755
--- a/gitweb/gitweb.perl
+++ b/gitweb/gitweb.perl
@@ -1443,8 +1443,7 @@ sub validate_refname {
 sub to_utf8 {
 	my $str = shift;
 	return undef unless defined $str;
-	if (utf8::valid($str)) {
-		utf8::decode($str);
+	if (utf8::valid($str) && utf8::decode($str)) {
 		return $str;
 	} else {
 		return decode($fallback_encoding, $str, Encode::FB_DEFAULT);
-- 
1.7.6