Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase --fix: interactive fixup mode

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 02:43:09 -0600

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:

> Is something like this over-generalized?
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2010/12/24/47502

Yes, I suspect that at the moment (i.e., in the absence of a large
collection of examples to show their utility), both your ^{~custom}
and my ^{first:rev-list args} are overengineered, and that they do
something that is more clearly expressed using the shell's command
substitution feature:

	git rebase -i $(git rev-list --merges HEAD | head -1)

So why did I suggest it?

I guess I was reacting to the implementation of the
rebase-recent-commits command.  I understand that it was a sketch, but
it felt a little ad hoc.  If it could be expressed as a clean
two-liner, I would be more comfortable since the burden of maintaining
it would be less.

Thanks for clarifying.

Sincerely,
Jonathan