Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH v3] git on Mac OS and precomposed unicode

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:56:00 -0600

Hi,

tb wrote:

> Purpose:
[...]
> Runtime configuration:
[...]
> Implementation:
[...]
> Compile time configuration:
[...]
> Implementation details:
[....]
> Thread safety:
[...]
> Auto sensing:
[...]
> New test case:

This information, to the extent that it is useful at all, belongs in
the commit log.  That is, the commit message should concisely say
everything a person would want to know when reading a patch, whether
reading it to review it for inclusion, to make sure it still works
when making a related change, to consider whether it is safe to
upgrade to a version including the change, to understand what is
happening when a bug is tracked down to be caused by that commit, or
for some other reason.

So please do not use a cover letter that separates this information
when sending a single patch.

> Changes since [...]

This kind of information that does not belong in the commit message
can go after the "---" in the same message as the patch.

I haven't read the patch yet, except to glance at it and see some
nitpicks I can mention later (e.g., source files should not #include
anything else before git-compat-util.h or cache.h), and the approach
seems likely to be sane; I'm mentioning this to help you present the
information in a way that can save myself and other reviewers some
trouble for the next round.

Thanks much for your work, and hope that helps.

Regards,
Jonathan