Subject: Re: Bug! Git merge also fails with a wrong error message

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:08:38 +0100

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Yves Goergen wrote:
> On 13.01.2012 20:34 CE(S)T, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > > Since I don't have access to the news system, I need to use the Gmane
> > > website. I don't know exactly what it is.
> > 
> > GMane is an e-mail to news gateway, and a mailing list archive. It
> > exposes mailing list as a newsgroup, so it can be read and written to
> > via newsreader (via Usenet).
> 
> I have Thunderbird, but I have no usenet server to entry in a usenet
> account, so as I said, I don't have access to that part of the internet.
> I had at university, but that's some time ago now.

GMane serves as a Usenet server; that is how it works as mail to news
gateway.  The server name is news.gmane.org... or you can try using the
following URL

  nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git
 
> > [email-masked] is a public non-subscribe mailing list; you don't
> > need to subscribe to post requests there.  Note that it is a custom on
> > this mailing list to always include all participants in given
> > (sub)thread directly in Cc, so you should get responses to your emails
> > even if you are not subscribed.
> 
> Good to know NOW. It really should have informed me in the first place
> on that website. It's a vital information without which you likely won't
> get anywhere (as I).

You can get this information on GitCommunity page on Git Wiki.  For the
time being (while Git Wiki is served as set of static pages of exported
contents because of lack of hardware) you can find it here:

  https://git.wiki.kernel.org/articles/g/i/t/GitCommunity_c4e3.html

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland