Subject: Re: Checkout tag?

From: Magnus Bäck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:31:15 +0100

On Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:25 CET,
     Abscissa <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I saw that, but it seems to imply that it's not a simple:
> 
> >git checkout tag_name
> 
> because of the required <pathspec>, whatever that is.

It isn't required. The part of the manual that I quoted (from Git
1.7.2.5) indicated that the pathspec is mandatory, but looking at
the command synopsis at the top of the man page it's actually listed
as optional.

Looking at an up to date Git 1.7.9-rc2 man page, it still seems
slightly inconsistent with itself. The synopsis at the top says

      git checkout [-p|--patch] [<tree-ish>] [--] [<paths>...]

while the text in the DESCRIPTION section says

      git checkout [-p|--patch] [<tree-ish>] [--] <pathspec>...

The DETACHED HEAD section of the man page contains an example of
checking out a tag, by the way.

If you're doubtful, why don't you just create a tag and try things
out for yourself?

-- 
Magnus Bäck                   Opinions are my own and do not necessarily
SW Configuration Manager      represent the ones of my employer, etc.
Sony Ericsson