Subject: Re: Alternates corruption issue

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:59:09 -0600

Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 04:22:58PM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> I admit part of the reason I care is that just putting "" first would
>> probably taken care of the more important part of
>> <http://bugs.debian.org/399041>.
>
> Would that fix it? If I understand it, the repo in question is bare with
> a ".git" directory inside it.

The layout was foo/.git/.git.  The real repository was made with plain
"git init" or "git clone", and then "git svn init" or similar was run
from within .git, creating a .git subdirectory.  (Something more must
have happened, actually, since the tree was weirdly sparse:

	$ find .git/.git
	.git/.git
	.git/.git/svn
	.git/.git/svn/git-svn
	.git/.git/svn/git-svn/.rev_db

)

In the current scheme, to access such a broken repository remotely,
you have to use a URL ".../foo".  URLs pointing to foo/.git (like gitk
once used) end up rewritten as .git/.git.  Of course, your patch with
the is_git_directory() will fix this specific case. :)

Not a huge deal, especially since "git svn init" prints out where it
is writing these days.