Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] gitweb: Highlight interesting parts of diff

From: Michał Kiedrowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:15:28 +0100

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Michał Kiedrowicz <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The code that comares lines is based on
> > contrib/diff-highlight/diff-highlight, except that it works with
> > multiline changes too.  It also won't highlight lines that are
> > completely different because that would only make the output unreadable.
> > Combined diffs are not supported but a following commit will change it.
> 
> I was thinking that if gitweb were to support "diff refinement
> highlighting", it would either use one of *Diff* packages from CPAN,
> or "git diff --word-diff" output.
>  

I think highlighting inline and side-by-side diff outputs is
something different from "git diff --word-diff". I find it useful for
people who are used to these diff formats (i.e. me :).

OTOH I'm not against using a dedicated package from CPAN. But I think
my approach is proven to work (I use contrib/diff-highlight as a
filter) and more lightweight (doesn't add another dependency to
gitweb). Moreover, adding support for some Diff package may be done
later, at any moment. It's just a matter of replacing one function
(format_rem_add_line()) with the one that uses Diff.