Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] gitweb: Highlight interesting parts of diff

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:55:19 +0100

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Michał Kiedrowicz wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Michał Kiedrowicz <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > > The code that comares lines is based on
> > > contrib/diff-highlight/diff-highlight, except that it works with
> > > multiline changes too.  It also won't highlight lines that are
> > > completely different because that would only make the output unreadable.
> > > Combined diffs are not supported but a following commit will change it.
> > 
> > I was thinking that if gitweb were to support "diff refinement
> > highlighting", it would either use one of *Diff* packages from CPAN,
> > or "git diff --word-diff" output.
> 
> I think highlighting inline and side-by-side diff outputs is
> something different from "git diff --word-diff". I find it useful for
> people who are used to these diff formats (i.e. me :).

I was thinking about *using* "git diff --word-diff" for diff refinement
highlighting of inline (unified) and side-by-side diff... 

though having an option of showing word-diff would be I think a good
idea in some cases, like e.g. documentation changes.

> OTOH I'm not against using a dedicated package from CPAN. But I think
> my approach is proven to work (I use contrib/diff-highlight as a
> filter) and more lightweight (doesn't add another dependency to
> gitweb). Moreover, adding support for some Diff package may be done
> later, at any moment. It's just a matter of replacing one function
> (format_rem_add_line()) with the one that uses Diff. 

O.K., if it is tested code, then all is good.  Well, except the fact
that I'm rather wary about adding more code to gitweb when it is still
single monolithic script, rather than split into packages.

Anyway, I'll try to review those patches soon.  I like the refactoring
work (that is from what I had chance to examine).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland