Subject: Re: Git documentation at kernel.org

From: Ted Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:20:30 -0500

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18:35PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> That would not work very well without changing the historical directory
> structure (which I think was the point of this discussion "please keep
> these stale links alive").
> 
> The toplevel index.html in the pub/software/scm/git/docs/ directory and
> its pointees were the set of docs for the latest version, and older
> versions were rooted at pub/software/scm/git/docs/vX.Y.Z/.  Links that
> point at software/scm/git/docs/git-cat-file.html still need to work, and
> the path needs to be updatable without having to include the preformatted
> documentation for all the historical versions in the same tarball.

Hmm... good point.  That does make it hard.  I could imagine making it
work by having separate hierarchies, and then using apache rewrite
rules so that anything that doesn't begin with vX.Y.Z in the top level
of software/scm/git/docs/* gets redirected to LATEST/*, where LATEST is
a symlink that is managed via kup.

I don't know if the k.org folks would consider that acceptable, though.

  	     	    	  	      	   - Ted