Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] gitweb: Highlight interesting parts of diff

From: Michał Kiedrowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:29:16 +0100

Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:18:12AM +0100, Michał Kiedrowicz wrote:
> 
> > The code that comares lines is based on
> > contrib/diff-highlight/diff-highlight, except that it works with
> > multiline changes too.  It also won't highlight lines that are
> > completely different because that would only make the output unreadable.
> > Combined diffs are not supported but a following commit will change it.
> 
> Have you considered contributing back the enhancements to
> contrib/diff-highlight? 

Yeah, I did. In fact, at work I have a hacked version of your
diff-highlight that supports multiline changes and I use it every day.
But I just couldn't make myself fix your long README and send a
patch :).

Maybe I'll cook something in my spare time.

> I took a look at handling multi-line changes
> when I originally wrote it, but I was worried too much about failing to
> match up lines properly, and ending up with too much noise in the diff.
> Maybe your "don't highlight lines that are completely different" rule
> helps that, though.

I must say that it works great for me. Most often it's very helping.
Like every heuristics it sometimes goes the wrong way, but it's so rare
that I don't find it disturbing.

> 
> Do you have any examples handy? (I was hoping not to need to get a
> running gitweb installation in order to see the output).
> 
> -Peff

Nope. Except for comparing diffs in various commits in gitweb-1.7.9 and
from my branch, I just created a dummy commit with different kinds of
changes to check if they are properly colorized.