Subject: Re: git log -z doesn't separate commits with NULs

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 23:11:04 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > True. That is also a slightly dangerous thing to do, though, because you
> > are omitting full patches in the middle that touch the same paths as the
> > patches you include....
> > ... So
> > perhaps we are better off to refer the user to git-log(1), say that
> > commit limiting options in general would work, but be careful with
> > sending a partial result.
> 
> You seem to have spelled out everything I originally wrote in my reply
> that I later deleted before sending it out, and I think the reason that
> brought you to the three-line conclusion is the same one that made me I
> delete them ;-).
> 
> Using a partial patch essentially has the same risk as cherry-picking a
> commit into different context, and it is a more generic issue that this
> particular manual page should not waste tons of space to teach readers
> about.  I think "Be careful and clueful" is sufficient and the best we can
> do without writing a textbook on distributed software development
> disciplines.

Perhaps git-format-patch should mention that it was created with
path-limited patch in some email pseudo-header like X-Pathspec:
or something, don't you think?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland