Subject: Re: Why Is There No Bug Tracker And Why Are Patches Sent Instead Of Pull Requests

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:53:04 -0600

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> opticyclic <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Firstly, why is there no Bug Tracker such as JIRA for the git project?
>
> Probably because nobody volunteered to set-up, actively de-dupe, triage
> and maintain it in general.

By the way, my usual offer/shameless plug[*] still stands: anyone who
can stand the interface is welcome to file, triage, and work on bugs
in the bugtracker at <http://bugs.debian.org/src:git>, as long as it
seems possible that your bugs might also affect Debian.

"Work on" usually means "forward to the git mailing list", but maybe
having a bug number is a comfort to some people. ;-) See
<http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting> for instructions.

All that said, that is still not The Bug Tracker for the git project.
I would not want it advertised on git-scm.com until we have had some
more practice dealing with outside bugs, and maybe more contributors
sorting through them.

It may be that others provide a similar service.

Hope that clarifies a little,
Jonathan

[*] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/181336/focus=181402