Subject: Re: [RFC] "Remote helper for Subversion" project

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 01:54:25 -0600

David Barr wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM, David Barr <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> --- a/SoC-2012-Ideas.md
>> +++ b/SoC-2012-Ideas.md
>> @@ -182,3 +182,29 @@ this project.
>>
>>  Proposed by: Thomas Rast
>>  Possible mentor(s): Thomas Rast
>> +
>> +Remote helper for Subversion
>> +------------------------------------
>> +
>> +Write a remote helper for Subversion. While a lot of the underlying
>> +infrastructure work was completed last year, the remote helper itself
>> +is essentially incomplete. Major work includes:

By the way, didn't we have a remote-svn prototype?  I'm happy to merge
any old hacky thing for staging in contrib/svn-fe, as long as it is
not documented in a misleading way.

(More generally, if anyone wants to resend useful svn-fe patches, that
will help a lot.)

>> +
>> +* Understanding revision mapping and building a revision-commit mapper.

Does this mean creating commit notes to record which subversion rev
corresponds to each commit, and marks or lightweight tags going the
other way?

>> +
>> +* Working through transport and fast-import related plumbing, changing
>> +  whatever is necessary.

I think Dmitry and Sverre took care of most of this.

>> +
>> +* Getting an Git-to-SVN converter merged.

Probably could fill a summer in itself.  In previous starts I think
there was some complexity creep. :/

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/170290
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/170551

>> +
>> +* Building the remote helper itself.
>> +
>> +Goal: Build a full-featured bi-directional `git-remote-svn` and get it
>> +      merged into upstream Git.

Sure would be neat. ;-)  Another nice piece to build would be branch
tracking / follow_parent heuristics.

Thanks,
Jonathan