Subject: [RFC/PATCH 0/7] tests: diffstat summary line varies by locale (Re: [PATCH v2] Use correct grammar in diffstat summary line)

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:51:01 -0500

(-cc: Thomas)
Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:

>  In Vietnamese, the summary line is "thay đổi 68 tập tin, thêm(+) 163,
>  xoá(-) 116". Lovely. Perhaps I'll translate git into Vietnamese after
>  all :)

Though I wouldn't be able to read it, that would make me happy.

>  And this patch's diffstat looks just scary due to test suite's updates.

Here's a series on top that does two things:

 1. make the current testsuite run again with GETTEXT_POISON enabled
 2. try to ensure that next time someone wants to tweak --stat output,
    fewer test updates will be needed.

Patch 1 consists only of good changes that seem maint-worthy to me,
but it is incomplete (see patch 7).

The rest seem to work but I haven't re-checked them carefully.

Patch 7 is a "miscellany" patch that even includes a few changes that
should be part of patch 1.  I am sending it this way just to get early
feedback on the approach; a final series would move all the
s/test_cmp/test_i18ncmp/ changes to patch 1 and have the rest of the
changes split up by topic.

The series is based against 7f814632 (Use correct grammar in diffstat
summary line).

Thoughts welcome, of course.

Jonathan Nieder (7):
  test: use test_i18ncmp to check --stat output
  test: use numstat instead of diffstat in funny-names test
  test: modernize funny-names test style
  test: test cherry-pick functionality and output separately
  test: use numstat instead of stat in "git stash show" tests
  test: use numstat instead of diffstat in binary-diff test
  remainder

 t/t3300-funny-names.sh              |  354 ++++++++++++++++++-----------------
 t/t3508-cherry-pick-many-commits.sh |   32 +++-
 t/t3903-stash.sh                    |   32 +++-
 t/t4012-diff-binary.sh              |   29 ++-
 t/t4013-diff-various.sh             |    7 +-
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh             |    9 +-
 t/t4016-diff-quote.sh               |   35 ++--
 t/t4030-diff-textconv.sh            |    6 +-
 t/t4031-diff-rewrite-binary.sh      |   10 +-
 t/t4043-diff-rename-binary.sh       |    8 +-
 t/t4045-diff-relative.sh            |   16 +-
 t/t4047-diff-dirstat.sh             |   65 +++----
 t/t4049-diff-stat-count.sh          |    2 +-
 t/t4100-apply-stat.sh               |    4 +-
 t/t5150-request-pull.sh             |    2 +-
 t/t7602-merge-octopus-many.sh       |    6 +-
 16 files changed, 356 insertions(+), 261 deletions(-)