Subject: Re: GSoC idea: adding JavaScript library / framework in gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:49:04 +0100

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012, chaitanyaa nalla wrote:

> Dear Jakub ,
> 
>  could you please suggest any other ideas or features so that i can
> think upon them and come up with further good ideas.

One idea for additional feature that I have already mentioned, and which
I have put on https://github.com/peff/git/wiki/SoC-2012-Ideas is
client-side sorting of tables, e.g. of list of all projects, a la
jQuery / MediaWiki (Wikipedia) "sorttable".

Another would be using deferreds or queues for interactive blame, so
that repainting (editing DOM) happens asynchronously to avoid locking
up browser, like in 
  http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2009/08/11/timed-array-processing-in-javascript/

There was also some time ago a patch that added ability to mark a commit
to compare current commit to (using JavaScript and cookies), to have an
UI to compare arbitrary commits using 'commitdiff' view.  Or something
similar to MediaWiki (Wikipedia) page history view. 

Yet another would be support for graphical representation of history in
'log', 'shortlog' and 'history' views e.g. using Raphael.js

Perhaps it would be possible to employ some JavaScript syntax highlighter
to pretty-print contents of 'blob' view.

Hope That Helps.

P.S. You can see gitweb at work here:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git
  http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland