Subject: Re: GSoC idea: adding JavaScript library / framework in gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:14:10 +0100

Please remove those parts of quoted (cited) message that are irrelevant
to your response.  Try to not top-post, either.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, chaitanyaa nalla wrote:

> I forgot to add this feature to employ JavaScript syntax highlighter
> to pretty-print contents of the blob view.

O.K.  Anyway, I think adding this feature is optional, as time permits;
especially that it is, I think, not easy.

> Here are my views regarding which JavaScript library to use.
> I want to stick to one or two libraries, as I don't want to
> mix things up which is a bad practise.

This is a good idea.

> For DOM manipulation jQuery is better than others.
> For graphics representation Raphael library or Dojo is better.
> If one need robust Object Oriented platform, Dojo is better.
> Based on popularity, light weight jQuery library is pretty famous
> because of its simplicity and power, it got added advantage that
> Microsoft's ASP.Net and Nokia are supporting it.
> YUI is modular.
> MooTools lets have us our own way .. http://jqueryvsmootools.com/
> Please take a look at this link:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_JavaScript_frameworks.

What is lacking in above description and comparison of various 
JavaScript frameworks is note about *your familiarity* with said 
libraries.

> Based on the goal of the project, I would prefer jQuery as it is well
> tested, robust, simple to use, widely popular, has good support for
> DOM manipulating, is fast (performance) in most cases.

Additional advantage is that there are many CDN (Content Delivery
Network) for jQuery that one can use.

I also think that for gitweb, where goal is to enhance its views
(rather than creating JavaScript app like e.g. GMail or Google Docs),
lightweight and popular jQuery library might be a best choice.

> Though for graphics I would go for Raphael.js, as it has clean
> and neat API similar to jQuery, and it has good graphics support.

Well, if there is time for adding client-side graphical history view
to gitweb, Raphael.js seems like a good choice.  But I am afraid that
this feature it as large as separate GSoC project.

P.S. Another source of inspiration for JavaScript usage in gitweb might
be git-browser project.  Just FYI.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland