Subject: Re: [GSOC] Contributing to git.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:45:58 +0100

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, chaitanyaa nalla wrote:

> There are good Opensource tools like
> TestSwarm (jQuery), JSTestDriver(Google). Both are distributed
> javascript testing tools that supports testing on all major browsers.

We don't need _distributed_ javascript testing tool; we need automated
command-line javascript testing tool which we can integrate into git
testsuite (t/).

* TestSwarm is distributed continuous integration testing tool,
  (not necessary for us), and from what I understand it shows results
  as a web page (in a browser).

  It is written in PHP and uses MySQL.

* jsTestDriver looks like something we could use, as it is run from
  command line, and prints results to standard output.

  It requires however a web browser attached (this is not an obstacle:
  having web browser can be prerequisite for such tests)... and is
  written in Java, and as far as I understand doesn't output TAP.

Documentation/CodingGuidelines says:

 - Avoid introducing a new dependency into git. This means you
   usually should stay away from scripting languages not already
   used in the git core command set [...]

So no PHP, and no Java.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland