Subject: Re: GSoC idea: adding JavaScript library / framework in gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:29:20 +0100

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, chaitanyaa nalla wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:

>>  adding UI to compare arbitrary commits in the page
>>  using commitdiff view similar to MediaWiki page history view.
> 
> could you please tell me a rough estimate of how much time can it be
> completed? I am expecting to complete it with in 1 week.

Well, the goal is to add an UI to the existing gitweb ability of
showing (commit)diff between two arbitrary commits.

One solution would be to make use (perhaps only as inspiration) of
Martin Koegler <[email-masked]> patch from 2007:

  [PATCH 5/7] gitweb: Prototyp for selecting diffs in JavaScript
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44517/focus=44523

Another would be create in 'log' or 'shortlog' view ability to
diff between arbitrary commits, similar to MediaWiki (and other wikis)
page history view, e.g.:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=JQuery&action=history

Or you can take GitHub as source of inspiration.

Anyway any solution extending or creating a new log-like view will
require server-side changes, therefore I think 1 week might be a bit
too optimistic.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland