Subject: Re: [GSoC] Designing a faster index format - Progress report

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 22:15:47 +0200

On 05/25, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > == Outlook for the next week ==
> >
> > - Start working on actual git code
> > - Read the header of the new format
> 
> I know it's out of scope, but it would be great if you could make
> ls-files read the new index format directly. Having something that
> actual works will ensure we don't overlook anything in the new format.
> We can then learn from ls-files lesson (especially how to handle both
> new/old format) and come up with api/in-core structures for the rest
> of git later.

Thanks for your suggestion. How did you think this should be done?
Writing a extra function in ls-files, just for outputting? I don't
think it is necessary to write a extra function, since the result
from the read_index_from function in read-cache is used for that
anyway. Or did you have something different in mind, that I'm missing
here?

--
Thomas