Subject: Re: [PATCH 03/65] i18n: archive: mark parseopt strings for translation

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:14:28 -0500

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:

>                         The test suite is currently more focused on
> features than human readable output.

Thanks for clarifying this.  Yes, that's the point of the
GETTEXT_POISON check.  It is supposed to make sure that running git in
another locale does not break features by modifying text that
(internal and external) scripts parse.

For a sanity check on the messages marked for translation from a
translator's perspective, it is generally better to just look at the
pot file.  And from the end user's perspective, I don't know a better
way to test than to just use git a little.

As a side effect, GETTEXT_POISON keeps the test suite usable for
exercising a copy of git configured for an actual other locale, which
means that in the future the test suite could be used to check for
problems due to differences between locales other than the translated
messages (think: charset, collation order, etc).

Ciao,
Jonathan