Subject: Re: [RFC 1/4 v2] Implement a basic remote helper for svn in C.

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 03:29:52 -0500

Florian Achleitner wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2012 02:00:31 Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> a. use --cat-blob-fd, no FIFO
[...]
>>    * Make it conditional --- only do it (1) we are not on Windows and
>>      (2) the remote helper requests backflow by advertising the
>>      import-bidi capability.
>>
>>    * Let the remote helper know what's going on by using
>>      "import-bidi" instead of "import" in the command stream to
>>      initiate the import.
>
> Generally I like your prefered solution.
> I think there's one problem:
> The pipe needs to be created before the fork, so that the fd can be inherited. 

The relevant pipe already exists at that point: the remote helper's
stdin.

In other words, it could work like this (just like the existing demo
code, except adding a conditional based on the "capabilities"
response):

	0. transport-helper.c invokes the remote helper.  This requires
	   a pipe used to send commands to the remote helper
	   (helper->in) and a pipe used to receive responses from the
	   remote helper (helper->out)

	1. transport-helper.c sends the "capabilities" command to decide
	   what to do.  The remote helper replies that it would like
	   some feedback from fast-import.

	2. transport-helper.c forks and execs git fast-import with input
	   redirected from helper->out and the cat-blob fd redirected
	   to helper->in

	3. transport-helper.c tells the remote helper to start the
	   import

	4. wait for fast-import to exit