Subject: Re: What should mergetool do with --no-prompt?

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:18:23 +0100

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:07:26AM -0700, David Aguilar wrote:
> Right now there are two code paths, resolving deletion conflicts
> and resolving symlink conflicts, in git-mergetool that do not
> honor --no-prompt.  They force user-interaction with the shell
> even though the caller (such as a program) said that they do
> not want to be prompted.
> 
> This was an oversight from when this option was first added.
> 
> I think a simple and sensible thing to do would be for mergetool
> to skip over these entries when --no-prompt is supplied.
> 
> Does this sound like a good idea?

--no-prompt is designed to remove the prompt before launching a
mergetool. This is because it is mostly pointless but does provide a
convenient point to interrupt (C-c) a large multifile conflict
resolution.

It was never supposed to be a batch mode switch. By it's very nature
mergetool is interactive so I don't see any advantage to pretending
otherwise.

If the documentation indicates otherwise then it's my opinion that
this is what needs to be fixed.

Charles.