Subject: Re: libgit2 status

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:40:27 +0200

The 27/08/12, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >>> I would be happy to be a guinea pig for libgit2 in order to improve it,
> >>> but I don't want to significantly impact git-subtree's move to core.
> >>> I'll have to figure out the right balance there given feedback.
> >>
> >> I expect it will take some time for libgit2 to allow our Makefile to
> >> start saying "LDFLAGS += -libgit2"; it will need to become as stable
> >> and widespread as other libraries we depend on, e.g. -lz and -lcurl.
> >
> > Well that's a chicken-and-egg problem, isn't it.  How will a library
> > become widespread unless something uses it?
> 
> That something will not be the git core itself.  Otherwise we will
> lose a stable reference implementation to catch its bugs.

This is exactly what I'm most afraid about. I tend to think it's a
chicken-and-egg problem, too.

Do you expect one big merge of a very stable libgit2 at some point?
Because, asking others to implement widely used tools on top of libgit2
in order to have it as stable/tested as curl is not going to happen, IMHO.

Otherwise, what about going with this optionnal "LDFLAGS += -libgit2"
ASAP with good disclaimer that it's only intended for development and
testing purpose? Then, git-core could slowly rely on functions of
libgit2, one after the other.

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht