Subject: Re: mailinfo: don't require "text" mime type for attachments

From: Don Zickus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:27:46 -0400

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 03:10:48PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> This code goes all the way back to March of 2007, in commit 87ab79923463 
> ("builtin-mailinfo.c infrastrcture changes"), and apparently Don used to 
> pass random mbox contents to git. However, the pre-decode vs post-decode 
> logic really shouldn't matter even for that case, and more importantly, "I 
> fed git am crap" is not a valid reason to break *real* patch attachments.
> 
> If somebody really cares, and determines that some attachment is binary 
> data (by looking at the data, not the MIME-type), the whole attachment 
> should be dismissed, rather than fed in random-sized chunks to 
> "handle_filter()".

Heh.  Years ago when I tried using git as a patch-control-management
system instead of a traditional SCM,  I fed my custom git-am script an
internal kernel-mail-archives list to help process the meta data for
patches (acks, nacks, needinfo, bugzillas, etc).  It served its purpose
until we switched to a fork'd copy of patch-work.

So I haven't done 'insane' stuff in years.  :-)  I'm sure this patch is
right, but it doesn't affect me anymore.

Sorry for any problems that arose..

Cheers,
Don