Subject: Re: [PATCH] tile: support GENERIC_KERNEL_THREAD and GENERIC_KERNEL_EXECVE

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:02:22 +0200

* Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>
> >> It is spelled:
> >>
> >>   git notes add -m <comment> SHA1
> >
> > Cool!
> 
> Don't use them for anything global.
> 
> Use them for local codeflow, but don't expect them to be 
> distributed. It's a separate "flow", and while it *can* be 
> distributed, it's not going to be for the kernel, for example. 
> So no, don't start using this to ack things, because the acks 
> *will* get lost.

I'd also add a small meta argument: that it would be actively 
wrong to *allow* 'belated' acks to be added. In practice acks 
are most useful *before* a commit gets created and they often 
have a mostly buerocratic role afterwards.

So we should encourage timely acks (which actually help 
development), and accept ack-less patches as long as they are 
correct and create no problems. More utility, less buerocracy. 
Incorrect, ack-less patches causing problems will get all the 
flames they deserve.

Thanks,

	Ingo