Subject: Re: [PATCH] tile: support GENERIC_KERNEL_THREAD and GENERIC_KERNEL_EXECVE

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:18:02 +0100

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:22:45PM +0100, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:09:46PM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > > It is spelled:
> > >
> > >   git notes add -m <comment> SHA1
> > >
> > > The resulting notes are stored in a separate revision-controlled branch
> > > and can be pushed and pulled like regular refs. Note, though, that the
> > > default refspecs do not yet include refs/notes, so you'd have to add
> > > them manually. The workflows around notes are not very mature yet, so if
> > > you start using them, feedback would be appreciated.
> > 
> > What would be nice is that notes are pushed/pulled automatically with
> > standard git push/fetch/pull commands. Usually git walks the DAG
> > starting with the pulled commit or tag and following the parents. With
> > notes, the reference is reversed, the note pointing to the commit and
> > not the other way around. So handling this automatically in Git would
> > be really useful.
> 
> Right, that's what I meant about the refspecs. You can configure git to
> push or pull them automatically, but it is not the default. Something
> like:
> 
>   git config --add remote.origin.fetch '+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/origin/*'

Yes, but that's a bit more complicated than a simple pull. Anyway, Linus
seems to not be in favour of annotating commits later for adding acks,
so no need for such feature.

> > The other feature I'd like is that notes are automatically folded in
> > the log during git rebase (maybe similar to the squash option). If you
> > rebase, you lose all the notes (though this depends on the workflow,
> > it may not be needed with published branches).
> 
> Git-rebase can automatically copy notes from one commit to another
> during a rebase, but you need to set notes.rewriteRef to do so (see "git
> help config" for details). The reason for this conservative default is
> that some notes may not be appropriate for automatic copying (e.g., a
> notes tree containing QA approval should probably be invalidated during
> a rebase, whereas one with commentary probably should).

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

> Squashing the notes into the commit message during rebase would be a
> useful feature (at least for some type of notes), but that feature does
> not currently exist (and as far as I recall, this is the first it has
> been proposed).

For some workflow - I post patches to the list, people reply with their
acks, I could just add those to notes and later fold them into the
existing commits before pushing the branch upstream. I guess it may be
just a matter of changing git format-patch to include the notes. I can
later reword he commits and drop the "Notes:" line.

-- 
Catalin