Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/3] git-submodule add: Add -r/--record option

From: "W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:02:32 -0500

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 05:29:27PM +0100, Heiko Voigt wrote:
> I think we should agree on a behavior for this option and implement it
> the same time when add learns about it. When we were discussing floating
> submodules as an important option for the gerrit people I already started
> to implement a proof of concept. Please have a look here:
> 
> https://github.com/hvoigt/git/commits/hv/floating_submodules

After skimming through this, something like

  $ git submodule update --pull

would probably be better than introducing a new command:

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 01:44:37PM -0500, W. Trevor King wrote:
>   $ git submodule pull-branch

I think "floating submodules" is a misleading name for this feature
though, since the checkout SHA is explicitly specified.  We're just
making it more convenient to explicitly update the SHA.  How about
"tracking submodules"?

-- 
This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org).
For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy