Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] git-submodule foreach: export .gitmodules settings as variables

From: "W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:21:35 -0500

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 05:45:22PM +0100, Heiko Voigt wrote:
> > can now be reduced to
> > 
> >   git submodule foreach 'git checkout $submodule_branch && git pull'
> 
> What other use cases are there? Would the need for this maybe go away
> once you had floating submodules following branches?

None that I can think of, but I don't use submodules very much.  The
idea of easily-accessible per-submodule configuration variables
strikes me as pretty useful, but I agree the code is a bit ugly.
Actually, I think exporting environment variables and calling the
foreach command in a subshell would be better than the current local
variables and eval.  The subshell would also make variable cleanup
irrelevant, which would make for a cleaner patch.

> For completeness you should make the variables possible to override by
> repository from the local repository configuration like all other
> submodule options that are read directly from .gitmodules.

Good idea (I wasn't aware of the override before).  Will do in v4.

-- 
This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org).
For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy