Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] git-sh-setup: refactor ident-parsing functions

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:12:35 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:08:37PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Changing the interface for get_author_ident_from_commit would be a pain,
> > but if we just wanted to help filter-branch, we could do something like
> > this:
> 
> Yes, that is the direction I was alluding to.
> 
> Callers of get_author_ident_from_commit can also do the same and
> avoid rebuilding the same $pick_author_script over and over again,
> or get_author_ident_from_commit can do so for its callers.

I don't think get_author_ident_from_commit can do so on demand due to
the subshell issue I mentioned. So you'd have to generate the pick
script on inclusion of git-sh-setup, whether the includer wants to call
the function or not.

I wonder if we should simply generate these at build time and store them
in the script.

I'm also not sure that saving one process invocation is worth spending a
lot of thought cycles on. Maybe somebody on Windows could run a
filter-branch with the patch I just sent and measure whether it even
makes a difference.

-Peff