Subject: Re: git config key bug or by design?

From: Peter van der Does <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:11:47 -0500

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:34:09 -0500
Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I don't recall ever discussing it. But what is it that you want to
> store in a key starting with a number? Git does not respect any such
> config values[1].
> 
> Are you writing a new tool that will store its config alongside git's?
> Even if the behavior is loosened, you would probably want to avoid
> starting your config keys with numbers, as older git versions would be
> around for a while and would choke on it.
> 
> -Peff
> 
> [1] You can still store arbitrary bytes in the subsection name (e.g.,
>     "foo.123.bar").

I am writing a tool, it needs to store branch names in a separate config
file. 

It's clear git doesn't respect those values, hence my question. I
understand how to work around the problem, I would just prefix the key.
I was just wondering if it was by design, which I guess it is as the
parsing of the file will die if the key starts with a non-alpha
character.

-- 
Peter van der Does

GPG key: CB317D6E

IRC: Ganseki on irc.freenode.net
Twitter: @petervanderdoes