Subject: Re: Python extension commands in git - request for policy change

From: Magnus Bäck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:39:56 -0500

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 19:10 EST,
     Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Magnus Bäck <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > While "constant traffic" probably overstates the issue, these are
> > not theoretical problems. I recall at least three cases in the last
> > year or so where Git has seen breakage with Solaris or Mac OS X
> > because of sed or tr incompatibilities, and I don't even read this
> > list that thoroughly.
>
> Most of the *constant* traffic is about *theoretical*
> incompatibilities, how much of that are real incompatibilities, it's
> not known. _Some_ of the traffic is about real incompatibilities,
> sure, but you could count only three cases *in a year*. It's not a
> huge amount. And then, how man this year?
>
> Also, I would like references to those incompatibilities.

I don't remember the details of the Mac OS X problem, but just searching
the archives for "xpg4" revealed the following Solaris problems since
April:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/195010
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/195966
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/207944

-- 
Magnus Bäck
[email-masked]