Subject: Re: Change in cvsps maintainership, abd a --fast-export option

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:44:37 -0500

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>:
> In 2009 I added tests demonstrating some of the erroneous behavior of
> git-cvsimport.  The failing tests in t9601-t9603 are concrete examples
> of the problems mentioned in the manpage.

Thanks, that will be extremely useful. One of the things I'm putting effort
into is building a good test suite for the tool; I may well be able to adapt
your tests directly.
>
> If you haven't yet seen it, there is a writeup of the algorithm used by
> cvs2git to infer the history of a CVS repository [1].  If your goal is
> to make cvsps more robust, you might want to consider the ideas
> described there.

I shall do so.  Their design ideas may well be interesting, even though I
don't trust their code.  I've seem cvs2svn drop far too many weird artifacts 
and just plain broken commits in the back history of Subversion repositories.
I don't know if this is due to design problems, implementation bugs, or both.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>