Subject: Re: cvsps, parsecvs, svn2git and the CVS exporter mess

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:45:42 -0500

Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]>:
> Please share so we can have a look. BTW, where can I find your cvsps
> code?

https://gitorious.org/cvsps

Developments of the last 48 hours:

1. Andreas Schwab sent me a patch that uses commitids wherever the history
   has them - this makes all the time-skew problems go away.  I added code
   to warn if commitids aren't present, so users will get a clear indication
   of when time-skew problems might bite them versus when that is happily
   impossible.

2. I've scrapped a lot of obsolete code and options.  The repo head
   version uses what used to be called cvs-direct mode all the time
   now; it works, and the effect on performance is major.  This also
   means that cvsps doesn't need to use any local CVS commands or even
   have CVS installed where it runs.

> >From my past cvs conversion experiences my personal guess is that
> cvs2svn will win this competition.

That could be.  But right now cvsps has one significant advantage over
cvs2git (which parsecvs might share) - it's *blazingly* fast.  So fast
that I scrapped all the local-caching logic; there seems no point to it at
today's network speeds, and that's one less layer of complications to
go wrong.

I've removed a couple hundred lines of code and the program works
better and faster than it did before.  That's having a good day!
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>