Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] pre-push hook support

From: Aaron Schrab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:50:25 -0500

At 18:01 -0800 28 Dec 2012, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>One lesson we learned long time ago while doing hooks is to avoid
>unbound number of command line arguments and instead feed them from
>the standard input.  I think this should do the same.

Good point.  I had been trying to keep the interface for this hook as 
close as possible to the ones for other client-side hooks on the theory 
that less development effort may go into those than for server-side 
hooks.  But thinking on that more I certainly see that this could easily 
run into limits on argument length on some systems; especially when it's 
likely that each of those arguments is likely to be over 100 bytes long.

I'll work on an updated version which sends the variable length 
information over a pipe, using the command-line arguments only to pass 
the remote name and URL.

>How does the hook communicate its decision to the calling Git?
>
>Will it be "all-or-none", or "I'll allow these but not those"?

Currently it just uses the exit code to communicate that back, so it's 
all-or-none.  I think I'll keep that in the updated version as well.

A future enhancement could modify the protocol to support reading from 
the hook's stdout the names of remote refs which are to be rejected, I 
think that just having the option for all-or-nothing is a good starting 
point.