Subject: Re: Test failures with python versions when building git 1.8.1

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 00:45:48 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>:
> Dan McGee <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > A test case snuck in this release that assumes /usr/bin/python is
> > python2 and causes test failures. Unlike all other tests and code
> > depending on python, this one does not respect PYTHON_PATH, which we
> > explicitly set when building git on Arch Linux due to python2 vs
> > python3 differences.
> 
> I had an impression that you are not supposed to run our scripts
> with python3 yet (no python scripts have been checked for python3
> compatibility), even though some people have expressed interests in
> doing so.
> 
> Eric?

Yeah, git's stuff is nowhere even *near* python3 ready.

I have it on my to-do list to run 2to3 on the in-tree scripts as a
diagnostic, but I haven't had time to do that yet...mainly because
cvsps/cvsimport blew up in my face when I poked at them.

Now I need to go beat parsecvs into shape and run both it and cvs2git
against the CVS torture tests I'm developing, so the 2to3 check won't
happen for a week or two at least. Sorry.

As in a general thing, I wouldn't advise worrying too much about python3
compatibility.  That version is not gaining adoption very fast, mainly
due to the rat's nest around plain strings vs. UTF-8 which can make
code conversion a serious pain in the ass.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>