Subject: [PATCH] contrib/vim: simplify instructions for old vim support

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:54:27 -0800

Rely on the upstream filetype.vim instead of duplicating its rules in
git's instructions for syntax highlighting support on pre-7.2 vim
versions.

The result is a shorter contrib/vim/README.  More importantly, it lets
us punt on maintenance of the autocmd rules.

So now when we fix the upstream gitsendemail rule in light of commit
eed6ca7, new git users stuck on old vim reading contrib/vim/README can
automagically get the fix without any further changes needed to git.

Once the world has moved on to vim 7.2+ completely, we can get rid of
these instructions, but for now if they are this simple it's
effortless to keep them.

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
---
Jeff King wrote:

> I'd argue that we should just remove contrib/vim at this point. It has
> no actual files in it, only pointers to vim.org for pre-7.2 vim users.

I think that's reasonable.  Of course we can still discuss enhancements
to the vim support on this list, but ultimately it's easiest to
distribute and document such work upstream in the usual way for vim
plugins.

How about this patch?

 contrib/vim/README | 16 +++-------------
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

diff --git a/contrib/vim/README b/contrib/vim/README
index fca1e17..8f16d06 100644
--- a/contrib/vim/README
+++ b/contrib/vim/README
@@ -17,16 +17,6 @@ To install:
 
   1. Copy these files to vim's syntax directory $HOME/.vim/syntax
   2. To auto-detect the editing of various git-related filetypes:
-	$ cat >>$HOME/.vim/filetype.vim <<'EOF'
-	autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG    setf gitcommit
-	autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.git/config,.gitconfig setf gitconfig
-	autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead git-rebase-todo         setf gitrebase
-	autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead .msg.[0-9]*
-		\ if getline(1) =~ '^From.*# This line is ignored.$' |
-		\   setf gitsendemail |
-		\ endif
-	autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.git/**
-		\ if getline(1) =~ '^\x\{40\}\>\|^ref: ' |
-		\   setf git |
-		\ endif
-	EOF
+
+	$ curl http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/filetype.vim |
+		sed -ne '/^" Git$/, /^$/ p' >>$HOME/.vim/filetype.vim
-- 
1.8.1