Subject: Re: git-cvsimport-3 and incremental imports

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:20:08 -0500

John Keeping <[email-masked]>:
> I don't think there is any way to solve this without giving cvsps more
> information, probably the last commit time for all git branches, but
> perhaps I'm missing a fast-import feature that can help solve this
> problem.

Yes, you are.  The magic incantation is

    from refs/heads/<branch>^0

I've just pushed a cvsps-3.9 with an -i option that generates these at
each branch root.  Combine it with -d and you get incremental
fast-export.

You get to integrate this.  I think the transition strategy Junio
has chosen is seriously mistaken, leading to unnecessary grief for users
who will be fooled into thinking it's OK to still use cvsps-2.x. Because
I do not wish to encourage or endorse this mistake and am tired of arguing
against stubborn determination to do the wrong thing, I am not going to 
sink more effort into the git project's end of the CVS-lifting problem.
There are too many better uses for my time.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>