Subject: Re: git-cvsimport-3 and incremental imports

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:43:40 -0500

John Keeping <[email-masked]>:
> I also disagree that cvsps outputs commits *newer* than T since it will
> also output commits *at* T, which is what I changed with the patch in my
> previous message.

Ah.  OK, that is yet another bug inherited from 2.x - the code doesn't
match the documented (and correct) behavior.  Please send me a patch
against the cvsps repo, I'll merge it.

> Perhaps it is simplest to just save a CVS_LAST_IMPORT_TIME file in
> $GIT_DIR and not worry about it any more.

Yes, I think you're right. Trying to carry that information in-band would
probably doom us to all sorts of bug-prone complications.

Thanks for the good analysis.  I wish everybody I had to chase bugs with
could explain them with such clarity and concision.

Sigh. Now I have to figure out if cvsps's behavior can be rescued in Chris
Rorvick's recently-discovered failure case. I'm not optimistic.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>