Subject: Re: git-cvsimport-3 and incremental imports

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:27:06 +0000

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 07:43:40AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> John Keeping <[email-masked]>:
>> I also disagree that cvsps outputs commits *newer* than T since it will
>> also output commits *at* T, which is what I changed with the patch in my
>> previous message.
> 
> Ah.  OK, that is yet another bug inherited from 2.x - the code doesn't
> match the documented (and correct) behavior.  Please send me a patch
> against the cvsps repo, I'll merge it.

Should now be in your inbox.

> > Perhaps it is simplest to just save a CVS_LAST_IMPORT_TIME file in
> > $GIT_DIR and not worry about it any more.
> 
> Yes, I think you're right. Trying to carry that information in-band would
> probably doom us to all sorts of bug-prone complications.

I think the only way to do it without needing to save local state in the
Git repository would be to teach cvsps to read a table of refs and times
from its stdin so that we could do something like:

    git for-each-ref --format='%(refname)%09%(*authordate:raw)' refs/heads/ |
    cvsps -i --branch-times-from-stdin |
    git fast-import

Then cvsps could create a hash table from this and use that to decide
whether a patch set is interesting or not.

John