Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2013, #08; Tue, 22)

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:55:10 +0000

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:26:24AM -0600, Chris Rorvick wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:28 AM, John Keeping <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > In my opinion the incremental import support really is substantially
> > worse in cvsimport-3 than cvsimport-2.  cvsimport-2 looks at the output
> > of git-for-each-ref to calculate the dates from which to continue each
> > branch.  cvsps cannot be told this information and so the cvsimport-3
> > script just takes the date of the last commit on the current branch.
> 
> Do you really need a timestamp per branch, though?  If you have
> branches A and B, and B has a commit timestamp 5 minutes after A, you
> can infer that nothing happened on A for those five minutes, right?
> So maybe a single timestamp is sufficient, it just may not be picking
> the right one.  Instead cvsimport-3 should compute the latest
> timestamp across all import branches.

The problem is telling which is an import branch, since it currently
just used "refs/heads/<branch>".

I do have a change to write the timestamp to a file, which takes the
newest commit across all of the branches that have changed during an
import.  That may well be good enough but doesn't let you incrementally
update a repository that has been cloned from elsewhere.

John