Subject: [PATCH] git-cvsimport.txt: cvsps-2 is deprecated

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:18:45 +0000

git-cvsimport relies on version 2 of cvsps and does not work with the
new version 3.  Since cvsps 3.x does not currently work as well as
version 2 for incremental import, document this fact.

Specifically, there is no way to make new git-cvsimport that supports
cvsps 3.x and have a seamless transition for existing users since cvsps
3.x needs a time from which to continue importing and git-cvsimport does
not save the time of the last import or import into a specific namespace
so there is no safe way to calculate the time of the last import.

Signed-off-by: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
---
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:04:12PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Care to roll a proper patch with a log message?  I'll discard the
> topic for now and replace it with your documentation update.

Here it is.

 Documentation/git-cvsimport.txt | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-cvsimport.txt b/Documentation/git-cvsimport.txt
index 9d5353e..f059ea9 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-cvsimport.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-cvsimport.txt
@@ -18,6 +18,12 @@ SYNOPSIS
 
 DESCRIPTION
 -----------
+*WARNING:* `git cvsimport` uses cvsps version 2, which is considered
+deprecated; it does not work with cvsps version 3 and later.  If you are
+performing a one-shot import of a CVS repository consider using
+link:http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html[cvs2git] or
+link:https://github.com/BartMassey/parsecvs[parsecvs].
+
 Imports a CVS repository into git. It will either create a new
 repository, or incrementally import into an existing one.
 
-- 
1.8.1