Subject: Re: "sha1 information is lacking or useless" when rebasing with a submodule pointer conflict

From: Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:56:15 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:43:31PM -0600, Michael Sims wrote:
> I'm seeing what might be a bug that was introduced in git 1.7.12 (also
> observed in 1.8.1.2).  If not a bug, it's a changed behavior from
> previous versions that I don't understand.
> 
> Here's the scenario:
> * I have a remote repo containing a pointer to a submodule.
> * Developer A and Developer B clone this repo, and both make a commit
> to first the submodule, and then the parent repo, changing some files
> and also the submodule pointer at the same time.
> * Developer A pushes his changes to both the submodule and the parent
> module to the shared remote
> * Developer B either does a "git pull --rebase" or a "git fetch && git
> rebase origin/master"

Thanks for the detailed bug report and the demo script. I can reproduce
the behavior here and will have a look into it. The submodule should be
marked as conflict.

Cheers Heiko