Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/7] Undocument deprecated alias 'push.default=tracking'

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:07:47 -0800

Hi,

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Wow, that's a blast from the past.
>
> I tend to agree that deprecating and removing are quite different,
> but a simple "revert" of the change would not be good, either.  We
> still would want to _discourage_ its use.

Hm, I was about to try adding a line in that vein, like

 * `tracking` - deprecated synonym for `upstream`.
 
Imagine my surprise when I saw that that is what you just said
would be no good:

[...]
>>>    `git pull`.
>>> -* `tracking` - deprecated synonym for `upstream`.
>>>  * `current` - push the current branch to a branch of the same name.

I really do think that including `tracking` in the same list would be
valuable.  When I look over a friend's .gitconfig file to help track
down a problem she is running into, it is helpful if I can find the
meaning of each item in a straightforward way.

Is the problem that "deprecated" is not precise enough?  For example,
would it make sense to say "deprecated synonym for `upstream`.  Will
be dropped in git 2.1" or something like that?

My two cents,
Jonathan