Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/7] Undocument deprecated alias 'push.default=tracking'

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:11:44 -0800

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

>> That works because, as you mention, the usual way to look up an option
>> in manpages is to search for "--print", including the two minus signs.
>>
>> Unfortunately an analagous approach in gitconfig(5) would be seriously
>> broken, because searching for "tracking" (no minus signs) is going to
>> hit many false positives.  I do not think such a change would be an
>> improvement.
>
> I thought your example was that you saw "pull.default = tracking"
> and wondering what it is.  Why do you need global search for
> "tracking", not just near pull.default is described, in the first
> place?

Because the UI for local searches in web browsers and man pagers is
seriously lacking.  Or, because people have bad habits and do not
take apppropriate advantage of search in small subsections of a
document.  All I know is that I have seen myself and others doing
searches analagous to "--print" and not seen searches analagous to
"tracking".

Am I really the only one that doesn't see the "--print" change as
hiding an option and sees burying "tracking" in the text as
qualitatively different?

Jonathan