Subject: Re: [RFC v2] git-multimail: a replacement for post-receive-email

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:26:57 +0000

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 14:56:25 Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think adding a short "dependencies" section in the README (or in an
> INSTALL file) saying which Python version works could save new users the
> trouble (I see the sheebang inside the scripts says python2 but since I
> couldn't use my system's python and called
> "path/to/python git_multimail.py", this didn't help). Making the script
> portable with python 2 and 3 would be awesome ;-).

For my 2p worth, I don't like seeing hooks called like this.  Particular those 
that come as part of the standard installation.

I call mine by installing little scripts like this (on Debian):

  #!/bin/sh
  # stored as $GIT_WORK_DIR/.git/hooks/post-receive-email
  exec /bin/sh /usr/share/git-core/contrib/hooks/post-receive-email

This means I don't have to make the sample script executable, it gets upgraded 
automatically as git gets upgraded, and the interpreter is easily changed by 
changing a file in my work directory, rather than altering a packaged file.

I'd prefer to see the /usr/share/git-core/templates/hooks/ using a similar 
technique, as to my mind, installing a full copy of the sample script in every 
new repository is wasteful and leaves you with potentially out-of-date scripts 
when you update git.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins
[email-masked]