Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] read_directory: avoid invoking exclude machinery on tracked files

From: Pete Wyckoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:11:10 -0500

[email-masked] wrote on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:17 +0700:
> Finally some numbers (best of 20 runs) that shows why it's worth all
> the hassle:
> 
> git status   | webkit linux-2.6 libreoffice-core gentoo-x86
> -------------+----------------------------------------------
> before       | 1.097s    0.208s           0.399s     0.539s
> after        | 0.736s    0.159s           0.248s     0.501s
> nr. patterns |    89       376               19          0
> nr. tracked  |   182k       40k              63k       101k

Thanks for this work.  I repeated some of the tests across NFS,
where I'd expect to see bigger differences.  Best of 20 values
reported in "min ...".

    webkit
    Stock min  9.61 avg 11.61 +/- 1.35 max 14.26
    Duy   min  6.91 avg  7.67 +/- 0.46 max  8.71

    linux
    Stock min  2.27 avg  3.16 +/- 0.56 max  4.49
    Duy   min  2.04 avg  3.12 +/- 0.69 max  4.87

    libreoffice-core
    Stock min  4.56 avg  5.79 +/- 0.79 max  7.08
    Duy   min  3.96 avg  5.25 +/- 0.95 max  6.95

Similar 30%-ish speedup on webkit.  And an absolute gain
of 2.7 seconds is quite nice.

		-- Pete