Subject: [PATCH v2 0/6] make pathless 'add [-u|-A]' warning less noisy

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:44:00 -0700

As promised, here is a rerolled version of the "make pathless 'add
[-u|-A]' warning less noisy", incorporating patches from
jc/add-2.0-u-A-sans-pathspec.  Thanks for your help so far.

Just like jc/add-2.0-u-A-sans-pathspec, the only transition in this
series is the "pull the bandaid" kind.  That is, there are two steps:

 0. the current state, where the warning is a little too noisy
 1. the current state but with the warning only firing in cases
    where the user will be affected by the change to default
    'git add -u' behavior
 2. no more warning, 'git add -u' defaulting to 'git add -u :/'

Patch 1 is the same as in jc/add-2.0-u-A-sans-pathspec, included for
reference.

Patches 2-5 correspond to the original patches 1-4.  Any changes are
described after the '---' in each patch.

Patch 6 is just the patch from the tip of jc/add-2.0-u-A-sans-pathspec,
rebased.  It is meant to be applied in the 2.0 cycle.

Jeff King (1):
  t2200: check that "add -u" limits itself to subdirectory

Jonathan Nieder (4):
  add: make pathless 'add [-u|-A]' warning a file-global function
  add: make warn_pathless_add() a no-op after first call
  add -u: only show pathless 'add -u' warning when changes exist outside
    cwd
  add -A: only show pathless 'add -A' warning when changes exist outside
    cwd

Junio C Hamano (1):
  git add: -u/-A now affects the entire working tree

 Documentation/git-add.txt | 16 +++++++-------
 builtin/add.c             | 56 ++++++++---------------------------------------
 t/t2200-add-update.sh     | 11 ++++++++++
 3 files changed, 28 insertions(+), 55 deletions(-)