Subject: Re: Why does 'submodule add' stage the relevant portions?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:20:23 -0700

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Git 2.0 is coming soon, so I'm excited about breaking a lot of
>>> backward compatibility ;)
>>
>> Don't.
>
> push.default is the necessary exception?

A while ago there was a discussion of changes of the "If we were
starting over today, it would be obvious we should have made it work
the other way" kind and potential transition plans for them leading up
to 2.0.  It's way too late to throw new breakage in.

More generally, it doesn't make a lot of sense to save thinking about
such questions for the last minute before a new major release.  If an
important change will require breaking compatibility and can only be
done using a painful 5-year transition, start today (and send patches
to the ML when an appropriate quiet moment comes to get review) so the
5-year counter can start ticking.

Hoping that clarifies,
Jonathan