Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Mar 2013, #07; Tue, 26)

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:52:15 +0000

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 03:15:44PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> John Keeping <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 02:47:25PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >> > * jk/difftool-dir-diff-edit-fix (2013-03-14) 3 commits
> >> >   (merged to 'next' on 2013-03-19 at e68014a)
> >> >  + difftool --dir-diff: symlink all files matching the working tree
> >> >  + difftool: avoid double slashes in symlink targets
> >> >  + git-difftool(1): fix formatting of --symlink description
> >> 
> >> I lost track of various discussions on "difftool" and its "symlink
> >> so that the user can edit working tree files in the tool".
> >
> > Would it be easiest if I send a new series incorporating
> > jk/difftool-dirr-diff-edit-fix and the proposed change to not overwrite
> > modified working tree files, built on top of t7800-modernize?
> 
> I am somewhat reluctant to rewind a topic that has been cooking in
> 'next' for over a week (the above says 19th).  Rebuilding the
> style-fixes on top of the above is fine---that topic is much
> younger.

Sadly that's easier said than done, since it just introduces further
conflicts as jk/difftool-dir-diff-edit-fix doesn't include
da/difftool-fixes (now in master).

So I think the best thing may be to:

    1) take only the middle patch from jk/t7800-modernize for now (which
       fixes a test failure on Windows and shouldn't conflict with
       anything else) and discard the other two patches there, to be
       re-sent after other topics in flight graduate

    2) add the "don't overwrite modified working tree files" patch built
       on top of jk/difftool-dir-diff-edit-fix (presumably as a new
       topic)