Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] clone: Allow repo using gitfile as a reference

From: Aaron Schrab <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:31:49 -0400

At 17:24 -0700 08 Apr 2013, Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> +test_expect_success 'clone using repo with gitfile as a reference' '
>> +	git clone --separate-git-dir=L A M &&
>> +	git clone --reference=M A N &&
>
>What should happen if I pass --reference=M/.git?

That isn't supported and I wouldn't expect it to work.  The --reference 
option is documented as taking the location of a repository as the 
argument and I wouldn't consider a .git file to be a repository.  I also 
can't think of a reason that it would be very useful since it should be 
simple to just refer to the directory containing the .git file.  But if 
others disagree, I could be convinced to add support for that.

I also wouldn't consider it breakage if that use would start working, so 
I don't see a point in adding a test to check that that usage fails.

>> +	echo "$base_dir/L/objects" > expected &&
>
>The usual style in tests is to include no space after >redirection
>operators.

Fixed for the next version, pending further comments.